American promotes sustainable practices at the assets we acquire and manage on behalf of our clients. Energy efficiency, water conservation, and sustainable building practices are key components of the value we provide to our investors and we are committed to advancing the principles of sustainable investing.
American has instituted a formal Green Initiative, which includes the following environmental investment policies as part of the overall investment process:
- Evaluation of potential office acquisitions for financially attractive green retrofit opportunities using energy and environmental audits
- Tracking energy and environmental metrics of office assets along with the asset's financial performance
- Sharing of best practices and information with the firm's business partners to increase further the awareness and the benefits of 'going green'
- Periodic reviews of all policies regarding energy usage and environmental impact for all the properties under management
American’s Sustainability Highlights Include:
- Over 30 office and industrial assets have achieved 2013/2014/2015 ENERGY STAR® Awards representing nearly 7.4 million square feet*
- Over 2.4 million square feet of LEED-Certified properties
- Recognized as a leader in water conservation by the Environmental Protection Agency
- Recognized as one of 2015’s Greenest Companies in Commercial Real Estate by Commercial Property Executive
- Received the Office Depot Leadership in Greener Purchasing Award
- Received the ENERGY STAR® Leader Award for improving the energy efficiency of American buildings more than 10% and for achieving an average score of 91 across the office buildings managed by American
- Recognized in 2014 by ENERGY STAR® as a Premier Member
- An ENERGY STAR® Partner since 2007
*ENERGY STAR® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.